Our Governing Board
The Governing Board is an overarching body for the Cornerstone Federation which consists of The Bay All-Through School and Niton Primary School. It consists of 18 governors currently made up of: 4 Foundation Governors, 2 Parent Governors, 1 Staff Governor, 1 Local Authority Governor, the Executive Headteacher and 9 co-opted Governors. This committed team of Governors brings with them a wide range of skills and expertise and make a valuable contribution to our group of schools.
What is the role of the Governing Board?
The Governing Body at The Cornerstone Federation provides strategic leadership and accountability. It has three key functions:
- Overseeing the financial performance of the schools and making sure money is well spent
- Holding the Executive Headteacher and Heads of School to account for the educational performance of the schools and their pupils
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
The Governors set the aims and objectives for the schools and the policies and targets for achieving those aims and objectives. They monitor and evaluate the progress the schools are making and act as a source of challenge and support to the Executive Headteacher. In action, this means:
- Appointing and performance reviewing the Executive Headteacher and senior leaders, including making decisions about pay
- Managing budgets and deciding how money is spent
- Engaging with pupils, staff, parents and the school community
- Sitting on panels and making decisions about areas such as pupil exclusions and attending hearings
- Addressing a range of education issues within the school including disadvantaged pupils, pupils with special needs, staff workload and teacher recruitment
- Looking at data and evidence to ask questions and have challenging conversations about the school
Our Governors adopt the Nolan principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership. They also understand that they need to be prepared to have courageous conversations; an enquiring mind; the ability to challenge the status quo; be collaborative to build strong relationships with all stakeholders; committed to developing their skills as a Governor and be creative and innovative.
All Governors serve a term of office of up to four years.
Being a school Governor can be a very rewarding role. If you would like to find out more please do not hesitate to contact us at – email@example.com
Our Current Governing Board
|Katie||Walker-Green||Co-opted (Vice Chair)||22/05/2018||22/05/2022|
Questions to Governing Board should be made through the Clerk to Govornors via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the Governors