The Cornerstone Federation Governing Body
(The Bay CE All-Through School and Niton Primary School)
The Cornerstone Federation has an experienced and committed set of Governors who work selflessly to provide high quality Governance to our group of schools.
What is the role of the Governing Body?
The Governing Body at The Cornerstone Federation provides strategic leadership and accountability. It has three key functions:
- Overseeing the financial performance of the schools and making sure money is well spent
- Holding the Executive Headteacher and Heads of School to account for the educational performance of the schools and their pupils
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
The Governors set the aims and objectives for the schools and the policies and targets for achieving those aims and objectives. They monitor and evaluate the progress the schools are making and act as a source of challenge and support to the Executive Headteacher. In action, this means:
- Appointing and performance reviewing the Executive Headteacher and senior leaders, including making decisions about pay
- Managing budgets and deciding how money is spent
- Engaging with pupils, staff, parents and the school community
- Sitting on panels and making decisions about areas such as pupil exclusions and attending hearings
- Addressing a range of education issues within the school including disadvantaged pupils, pupils with special needs, staff workload and teacher recruitment
- Looking at data and evidence to ask questions and have challenging conversations about the school
Our Governors adopt the Nolan principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership. They also understand that they need to be prepared to have courageous conversations; an enquiring mind; the ability to challenge the status quo; be collaborative to build strong relationships with all stakeholders; committed to developing their skills as a Governor and be creative and innovative.
If you would like to contact the Chair of Governors he can be contacted by:
Mrs Lisa Croke
C/O Ms Liz Whishaw
Clerk to Governors
The Bay CE School
Isle of Wight